Tuesday, 16 June 2015

June 8-14: Week 19


This week was a bit of a mess. I think my brain fell out of my head and my body just kept going through the motions without me…
We had our second on stage day on Tuesday. It went well. After knowing what it’s like backstage on the Festival theatre stage, it went way smoother for me. I knew what to expect and what our plan was. I had forgotten to bring the shoes back down from fitting sessions, so there was a bit of running around, as the shoes were not brought back to the SM office after the fittings. At the end of the day, we packed everything up, as there are 2 other shows sharing our space and we weren’t back on stage until the end of the week.
Our next two rehearsals were back in the rehearsal hall. Going back to a rehearsal room that isn’t big enough for your show after being on stage and using the entire space sucks. Besides the fact that everything has to be moved back into the room and we had to reset the all the furniture and props and costumes, it feels like you’re moving backwards. Unfortunately it’s just the way it works when you have to share the stage with other shows. We didn’t have rehearsals Wednesday or Thursday, but I didn’t look ahead at the Thursday morning fittings as I figured I’d be able to bring the shoes up Wednesday night at the end of my office hours. Wednesday after delivering the daily, I go down to the costume storage for the Festival Theatre Stage so I can grab the shoes needed for Thursday’s fittings. Both shoe baskets are missing… My costume rack is there, but no shoes! It happened to be an early day for the crew and everyone had gone home by 6:30 (my adventure started at 7) I spent an hour looking at all the places they could have possibly been moved to (triple checking every location in case I overlooked something) and then admit defeat. I go home and send an email to my SM and the head of wardrobe “Hey, 2 baskets of shoes have been misplaced and I can’t bring you so and so’s shoes for his fitting tomorrow afternoon. No one is around to ask, so I’ll come in tomorrow morning and see if anyone knows where the baskets have been moved to. So sorry…” About 10 emails are exchanged; my SM stops by the theatre later in the evening to take a look and after about 45 minutes also gives up… The next morning I get an email from my SM saying the shoes have been found, they were tucked away behind our set, in a dark corner that can’t be accessed without moving the entire set back into place (or climbing over walls and such to get to them). So the shoe situation gets sorted. Lesson 1: look ahead at fittings if you aren’t in rehearsal for a few days. Lesson 2: Move things yourself to a place you know is safe… Until there’s a dresser on the show (the dresser is the person that takes care of all the costume related things once the show is in performance mode, they usually join us at our first dress rehearsal) I’ll move things myself.
Thursday we have rehearsal during the day and nothing from fitting has been brought back to me, so I had to go up and look around for them as they were not in obvious places. We also had to reset our room, so it was bit of a messy afternoon. I found most of the shoes, but couldn’t find 3 pairs. I apologised to the actors and told them I’d get them for the next day. At the end of rehearsal I bring shoes up to wardrobe for the next day’s fittings. Everything seems fine…
Friday morning I get an email from wardrobe looking for one of the actresses show wraps so they can have it for her fitting. I completely forgot to bring that up for them (I had brought her shoes, but as the costume piece is the only show piece we have right now, it completely slipped my mind). They couldn’t find it on the rehearsal rack, but that’s exactly where it was…my SM was in the building at the time and found it immediately and brought it up to them. Thank you!!
Our next rehearsal was Saturday night. Again, I didn’t get the shoes back, but this time I knew where to look so it was a bit easier. I also didn’t get the wrap back and the wardrobe department doesn’t work on weekends so there wasn’t anyone to ask…I eventually found it and was grateful that I had come in early to find it. Saturday night was our last rehearsal in the rehearsal hall, from now on we’d be working on stage!! We did a run of the show and finished the night early. We had to do a big cleanup of the room and the actors helped us rip up the tape. It felt good to do our last move.
We hit the stage Sunday night again, and started our ‘Q2Q’, here they call it a ‘tech work through’. We’re a day a head as our show is really straightforward and simple, Sunday was supposed to be our 3rd on stage day without tech, but we’d already worked through all the spacing issues and were ready to move forward. The other ASM and I have gotten into a good rhythm with our crew and things are going pretty well on stage. In our first work through (a 2 hour session) we got through act 1. The thing that slowed us down was the popping of a Champagne bottle in the middle of Act 1…This stalled us for 45 minutes. It was…special…if you want to know the whole story, I can share it in person. We got through Act 1, did the transition into act 2 a few times and then called it a night.

It was definitely quite a week. I feel like I was in a place where I was starting to take things for granted and that’s when things started to fall apart. I definitely made a few stupid mistakes, didn’t do things that I should have done that I know how to do properly…but I got to the end of my week and I definitely felt like I hadn’t been performing at 100% so it’s time to get back on the horse and do better, be stronger, work harder. Just because I’m a place of comfort doesn’t mean I should slow down and not be at the top of my game. It’s been really slow in the office this week on Sunday before my evening rehearsal I spent a few hours mapping out the entire week of classes, fittings and events, making sure we maximize our upcoming week for the entire ensemble. It felt good to use that part of my brain again. I love scheduling and working on puzzles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment