Monday, 25 May 2015

Week 16: May 19-25

Tuesday I ran lines with two actors to prepare them for their understudy blocking rehearsal Wednesday. I then had an hour in the office-but I had already done a majority of the schedule, so I was able to confirm some information regarding head shot sessions coming up this week. It’s a lot more manageable this week!
I had 3 hours off, and met up with Gail for lunch (she was staying with family near Welland). It was wonderful to see her again.
I felt exhausted and unfocused at rehearsal today. I wasn’t doing a good job of being on book. I wasn’t fast or loud. Everyone has off days I guess… I felt I was a bit more on top of anticipating and preparing for going back on certain scenes. It’s so weird not using scene maps here, they have ‘tech flow charts’ instead, I haven’t created a document like that before and I’m not the one doing it on this show so I feel a bit lost sometimes. I’ve also been on book and am still struggling with being able to track while being on book, especially since the actors are not all using their rehearsal costumes so I don’t have a visual cue to remind me or help me out. I’m struggling a bit with working on a team that constantly needs to know everything that’s going on-in a controlling way, and it makes me feel like I need to have permission to do anything so my instincts and initiative gets stifled. I need to find a way to get over this, as it’s not the first time I’ve been on a team like this and it makes me feel like I’m going backwards instead of progressing…Tomorrow we do a full run of the play and I don’t feel prepared, but the ASM is on top of it, so it will be fine. This run will get me back on my feet with costume information and I’ll be able to get timings and make note of all the places I need to update my running lists. We still have about 4 weeks before we hit the stage, so I feel good about it all.
Things I’ve picked up from the SM team, putting post its sticking out of pages to flag them for line notes, then writing the page number, what the actor should be saying and what they have been saying, so you can find them all at the end of the day and write them out. This way you don’t take up an actor’s time, you just pass them the post-its and they can look at them on their own time.
Keeping track of how long we actually spend on each scene in rehearsal so that when we want to rehearse a scene later on, you’ll know how much time it actually took, instead of trying to estimate it based on the way the director and actors works.
Our run this week went really well. I was able to take timings for everything and track a lot more costume information. I wasn’t on book for this one so it was much easier to collect all the information.
We don’t rehearse more than 3 times a week, so it’s a bit of a challenge to stay focused and be prepared each time because there is so much time in between rehearsals and I’m doing office hours in between. Sometimes I’ll have two full office days in between rehearsals and it’s easy to forget what we’re doing next in rehearsal.
I’ve managed to update my wardrobe running list (a list of all the times an actor changes costumes or removes/uses bits of their costumes on stage for one reason or another, the list is then handed over to the wardrobe and wig departments so they can fill in all the details according to what they’re building, and lastly to the wardrobe runner for our show-the person during the run of the show who is in charge of any kind of costume bits/information and makes sure all the actors do the changes they need to do.) I’m going to get the ASM to look it over because I’ve never done a document like this one before and it’s not the easiest layout to wrap your brain around.

I also found out this week that Sweet Charity has 207 pairs of shoes in it (i.e 207 costumes) and about 310 costumes changes in the span of a 2 hour show (with a total of 23 actors). That wardrobe running list is 23 pages long, my list is 3 pages long. Perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment