When you get
reminded of the rehearsal process:
Monday went really
well. I was in Lady from the Sea rehearsals today and we’re really moving
along. There was one scene we were working this morning between the leads and
we did a bit of work on it last night, and on our second go at it this morning
the actors were so committed and moving in the scene, I got a little misty
eyed. It was really touching and powerful. In that moment I was just so excited
to be part of this story. I’m here witnessing this process and sometimes I
forget about this part. It’s truly a beautiful thing to watch.
This week in the
land of Office Management:
Monday evening, Théa, Sara and myself were all
scheduled in the office. It was actually wonderful to be sharing the office
again because it gave me a chance to step back and take the time to organize
things and discuss how to make our office life more efficient. There have
definitely been a lot of mistakes on the dailies recently and I’ve been trying
to brush them off, because as Alison said on our first day-we’re all human,
mistakes will happen. Let them happen. I’m starting to get sucked into this
terrible mindset of ‘now everyone has this impression of me doing a bad job.’ I
just got this feeling of ‘maybe I don’t belong here’. I got a chance to spend
the afternoon looking at how to make things better, easier to manage and create
a system where fewer things will fall through the cracks.
Office music: Irish folk songs.
This week in the land
of being HANGRY:
Tuesday there was a huge company introduction. It was the season’s first huge introduction. They call it ‘Meet the Pizza’, and people also share events they will be doing at some point during the season that everyone can partake in-such as joining the cricket team and having a giant clothing swap later. I arrived 45 minutes late because I was distributing the daily and when I got there, introductions had already happened, most of the events had already been shared and there was about 5 small squares of pizza left (there were about 8 other people who arrived late as well..) so I was very hangry. I realize I’m sounding ungrateful, but I just felt like I missed so much and I was introduced to everyone before I even got there. It sounds stupid, but I just wanted to be present for that moment, I wasn’t there to feel the recognition, to get congratulated for being part of the company, for all the hard work I’ve done that got me here. I just wanted to feel that, and I missed it. I’m also suffering from slight cabin fever, mixed with this incredibly hypocritically ‘middle child syndrome’ combined with ‘I want to be alone’ mood. It’s like “Pay attention to me, but also leave me alone so I can deal with my self-esteem issues”. It’s not helping anyone.
Tuesday there was a huge company introduction. It was the season’s first huge introduction. They call it ‘Meet the Pizza’, and people also share events they will be doing at some point during the season that everyone can partake in-such as joining the cricket team and having a giant clothing swap later. I arrived 45 minutes late because I was distributing the daily and when I got there, introductions had already happened, most of the events had already been shared and there was about 5 small squares of pizza left (there were about 8 other people who arrived late as well..) so I was very hangry. I realize I’m sounding ungrateful, but I just felt like I missed so much and I was introduced to everyone before I even got there. It sounds stupid, but I just wanted to be present for that moment, I wasn’t there to feel the recognition, to get congratulated for being part of the company, for all the hard work I’ve done that got me here. I just wanted to feel that, and I missed it. I’m also suffering from slight cabin fever, mixed with this incredibly hypocritically ‘middle child syndrome’ combined with ‘I want to be alone’ mood. It’s like “Pay attention to me, but also leave me alone so I can deal with my self-esteem issues”. It’s not helping anyone.
This week in How to
prove you need more dressers on the Musical:
Wednesday: This
morning I did a few hours in the office and then spent the afternoon helping
out for the Sweet Charity run through. There are so many costume changes and
both ASMs have quite a bit to do in rehearsal that one of them just needed an
afternoon to be able to watch the run and take timings for all the costume
changes. That’s where I came in. I took Leigh’s place ‘backstage’ and helped
Annie move props on and off stage when necessary, and slowing down rolling
desks as they get shoved off stage etc…so that Leigh would have the time to get
the right numbers for everything. The SM team has asked for an extra dresser
for this show, but they won’t get one until they prove they absolute can’t do
the show without. (A dresser is someone backstage who helps actors get in and
out of costumes). To prove that, Leigh has made a document of all the costume
changes, what backstage area they will happen in, and how long each one will
take. There are a few moments in the play were simultaneously 6 actors have
about 12 seconds to change costumes. The show looks fantastic, and this is
watching the second run through from backstage left of the rehearsal hall and
trying to pay attention to Annie so that I can assist her with making the scene
change smooth. The choreography in this show is incredible. The energy and set…
I’m so excited for them to add costumes and see the show from the front as an
audience member.
Stage Management
101:
Thursday we
had our first (of 2) 8 hour rehearsal day for Lady from the Sea. I got so used
to the 3 ½ hour days that 8 hours felt very strange. We got a lot done, but
there were also parts of the day that were super slow. We’re also currently
working through some of the heaviest subtext for this show. It’s really deep
and complicated-it has its Hemmingway moments where so much is said in the
silences and the disruptions. It’s all quite beautiful. More and more the
suggestion to use the Little Mermaid songs as scene transition music is being
tossed around and I’m beginning to fall for the illusion that it will actually
happen. I love being in a room where that’s a conversation. Today especially I took note of how efficient
the SM team I’m apart of is. The ASM has such an amazingly simple and easy to
reference way of tracking props and costumes. This show is very light on the
costume and props so it’s been easier to track everything, when I look at her
book and I look at my own I definitely could just take her book and hand it to
a stranger and they would know what’s going on, my book isn’t there yet. I’m so
used to being by myself as a stage manager that I’m used to taking my book home
and cleaning up my notes at the end of the day. Here, I’m leaving my book at
work and walking away from it, which really opened my eyes to how much I was
doing at home, outside of hours, that I could actually get done in the hall
during hours. On each page that there’s a prop change/move or a costume change
she has a post it on the script page indicating exactly where the ‘action’
happens, she writes who, what and where. (Blue post its are for when something
is entering, and pink is for when something is exiting). She also writes on her
opposite page the what and the where. At the top of her opposite page she has a
list of all the character names and on that list she writes the what and the
where beside whichever character has the prop or the costume bit. The post its
on the script page really help indicate the cue line and the direction
something is happening in, the information on the opposite page has a lot more
detail about what is happening and the information beside the character legend
at the top of the page really clarifies who. It might not sound like it’s easy
to understand, but it really is.
Here’s what her
Character legend looks like (the character name is first, then in brackets it’s
the actor’s name):
___Ellida (actor
name)___
___Ballested (actor
name) ___
_NT_Bolette (actor
name)_USL w/ 2 books__ (Bolette enters
upstage left with 2 books)
___Hilde (actor
name)___
___Lyngstrand
(actor name)___
___Arnholm (actor
name)___
___Stranger (actor
name) ___
___Wangle (actor
name) ___
In her blocking page below this it would look
more like this:
BO NT USL w/ 2 books, X DSC, (down arrow) + reads
(Bolette enters Upstage left with 2 books, she crosses downstage center,
sits down and reads)
This information
gives you a lot more detail about what she does with the books and where she
has them in a still position. This information is important if you start
working a scene midway through and need to get the stage set for that
particular moment.
I can’t really
illustrate what the post it on the script does, but it is really there to
indicate on exactly what word/line Bolette enters with the book. This is important
for someone backstage to know what to expect back stage and how to help an
actor by placing their prop in the right spot backstage and possibly handing
the prop to them moments before entering the scene (if for example the actor
exits on the opposite side of the stage and has to re-enter with the book on
your side, you can be ready with the book so that when they run over it’s fast
and allows them to focus on the scene)
The ASM also has a
props list where she writes everything above beside each item. Who uses it,
which page in enters the stage, from which direction, what page it exits the
stage, who exits with it, what direction and if it’s used again If it is used
again-who uses it and does it need to be moved to another location backstage
for the next actor?
This is also
something I tend to do after hours because I don’t have the time in rehearsal
when I’m not on a team, but it can easily be done when you have the right kind
of support during rehearsal hours. Especially if the director and actors start
discussing the scene, it’s really easy to update this kind of paperwork while
still having an ear open to their discussion.
Also…having the
right kind of chair to sit in all day is so fucking important.
In Other News:
Brandon Roy came to
visit me at the end of the week! We had dinner at the Irish Harp and it’s
definitely my favorite place so far. The atmosphere and service and food is so
good. There was a live band, but it wasn’t too loud. I got to catch up with
Brandon, it was so nice to have a visitor.
I also biked to the
Valu Mart in virigl today. It’s a good 25 minute bike ride and the valu mart
has way more selection than the one in town, but the prices aren’t that much
lower. I filled my saddle bags with groceries and biked home. It will be a much
nicer ride once the weather get’s better. I think it was -6 today, but at least we don’t have snow.
No comments:
Post a Comment